Margaret River Gourmet Escape celebrates 50 years of wine in WA’s extraordinary south west region, with a produce and wine extravaganza over four days this November.
Paying homage to the region’s 50th anniversary of commercial wine production, world renowned wine critic Jancis Robinson, OBE, MW (UK) will be in attendance at many events across the weekend, and the festival will exhibit a selection of key wine events including the Cape Mentelle International Cabernet Tasting and Long Lunch; the Cullen Wines 32nd International Chardonnay Tasting; plus fringe events including the ‘50 Years in the Making’ Tasting at Vasse Felix and the Leeuwin Art Series Dinner. Jancis will be joined by some of Australia’s most respected wine personalities and journalists including James Halliday, Huon Hooke and Nick Stock.
Curtis (of acclaimed Maude & Gwen Restaurants, Los Angeles) will join over 50 of the world’s leading food and wine personalities, including chefs from the World’s Best Restaurants*, Andre Chiang (#14 Restaurant Andre, Singapore), Alex Atala (D.O.M., Brasil), David Thompson (#28 Nahm, Thailand), Ashley Palmer-Watts (#36 Dinner by Heston, UK) and Rodolfo Guzman (#42 Borago, Chile). Together they will all head to Margaret River and collaborate with the country’s best as they showcase the region’s exceptional food and wine.
Asia’s Best Female Chef, May Chow (Little Bao, Hong Kong) will join highly acclaimed chefs including Pierre Koffmann (UK), Danny Bowien (Mission Chinese, USA), Kyle Connaughton (SingleThread Farm, USA), and Kris Yenbamroong (NIGHT + MARKET, USA) who join the Gourmet Escape line up for the first time to collaborate on events showcasing premium local produce and stunning locations Margaret River is famous for.
This year will also see the addition of new and exciting events including Curtis Stone officially opening the festival at the additional Audi Gourmet Beach BBQ session on Thursday evening; The Great Soiree at Fraser Gallop Estate; The High Life with Paul Iskov (a helicopter lunch); and the launch of the Official Closing Party at White Elephant Café.
Visitors can expect some extraordinary dining collaborations; Fermoy Estate will host a dinner featuring Clayton Wells with Mejakawi (Bali); and Alex Atala (Brazil) joins forces with Porteno (Sydney) at Larry Cherubino. The festival also welcomes new venues and wineries for the first time including the newly opened Amelia Park Winery Restaurant; and Arimia Estate – who will take part in the festival to showcase their wines.
The heartbeat of the festival, the Gourmet Village, will have a fresh feel for 2017 with the main stage hosted by multitalented comedian, actor/presenter and musician Matt Okine, plus music programming throughout the day including a secret closing act on Sunday evening. New attractions include The Lurpak Cookery School & a ‘Giniversity’ along with returning favourites such as Wusthof Knife Skillery, Around the Barrel, Icon Tastings and Battle of the Breweries.
Also making its debut in 2017, The World’s Best Chef’s Table is an exclusive and very intimate, once in a lifetime restaurant experience nestled in the heart of the Gourmet Village. Guests can pull up a stool and savour a glass of the region’s best wine alongside some of the world’s most coveted chefs from the top 50 list as they create a dish showcasing incredible WA produce. Once the masterpiece is complete, the lucky group will enjoy the meal alongside their culinary idols. Tickets are strictly limited and expected to sell out quickly.
Quintessential WA package
Sunset, Beats & Bites
Mix a handful of new wave winemakers with a good dose of funky beats, add an iconic Western Australian sunset, delectable, hearty food and you have arguably Margaret River Gourmet Escape’s hippest event. From the deck of Gnarabup Beach kiosk, watch the sun go down as the DJ spins the decks, and taste drops by Margaret River wineries. The volume goes up as the stars in the night sky start to shine.
Tickets include a glass of wine (additional drinks can be purchased) and a bountiful selection of food. Visitors can select dishes from the various food stations
Feast in the Forest, The Safari Club, Leeuwin Estate
Andre Chiang (Number 2 in Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants, and Number 14 in the world) is one of Singapore’s most influential chefs and his exquisite Singapore dining room, Andre, showcases ground breaking ways with food. Closer to home, Wills Domain head chef Seth James curates a very special menu at one of Western Australia’s most awarded dining rooms.
Both chefs share a curiosity and passion for food that introduces diners to a range of innovative flavours, and have garnered a reputation for delivering food that engages yet constantly surprises, expect dishes that evoke memories and emotions. Together, they will bring you an extraordinary dinner matched by Will’s Domain’s award-winning wines.
Owned by the Haunold family, this elegant winery overlooks the picturesque Gunyulgup Valley and offers a wide range of award-winning wines that are more than a match for Seth’s wonderful food.
Gourmet Village, Leeuwin Estate Winery – GA includes bus transfer
A visit to Margaret River Gourmet Escape presented by Audi is not complete without a visit to the Gourmet Village, located in the stunning surrounds of the renowned Leeuwin Estate Winery. Over the weekend of Saturday 19 November and Sunday 20 November (11am-5.30pm) the vineyard comes alive as festival-goers rub shoulders with some of the world’s best chefs and food and wine experts in a delicious, fun-filled environment.
Platinum guests will gain fast track access to the air-conditioned Leeuwin Estate restaurant with premium views over the festival, two glasses of Leeuwin Estate wine and local dishes prepared from interactive food stations.
Other packages also available. Please contact Alquemie for more information.
2017 Festival Line Up
• Curtis Stone (Maude & Gwen, USA)
• Jancis Robinson OBE (Master of Wine, UK)
• Rick Stein (Chef & Restaurateur, UK) • Pierre Koffmann (Chef & Restaurateur, UK)
• Andre Chiang (Restaurant Andre, Singapore) *No. 14 • Alex Atala (D.O.M, Brazil) *No. 16 • David Thompson (Nahm, Thailand) *No. 28
• Ashley Palmer-Watts (Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, UK) *No. 36
• Rodolfo Guzman (Borago, Chile) *No. 42
• May Chow (Little Bao, Hong Kong) *Asia’s Best Female Chef
• Benjamin Cross (Mejekawi, Bali)
• Carlo Cracco (Ristorante Cracco, Italy)
• Danny Bowien (Mission Chinese Food, USA)
• Kris Yenbamroong (NIGHT + MARKET, USA)
• Kyle Connaughton (Single Thread Farms, USA)
• Michael Hunter (Antler Kitchen & Bar, Canada)
• Roger Mooking (Man, Fire, Food, Canada)
• Vijay Mudaliar (Native, Singapore)
• Luke Nguyen (Red Lantern, Sydney)
• Andrew McConnell (Cutler & Co., Melbourne)
• Guillaume Brahimi (Bistro Guillaume, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth)
• Shane Delia (Maha Restaurant, Melbourne)
• Peter Kuruvita (Noosa Beach House, Noosa)
• James Halliday, AM (Wine writer, critic and winemaker, VIC)
• Aaron Carr (Snake and Herring, Margaret River)
• Ben Milgate (Porteno, Sydney)
• Blair Allen (Amelia Park, Margaret River)
• Brendan Pratt (Vasse Felix, Margaret River)
• Clayton Wells (Automata, Sydney, Blackwattle, Singapore)
• Dan Gedge (Watershed Premium Wines, Margaret River)
• Dan Hong (Mr. Wong and Ms G’s, Sydney)
• Daniel Fisher (KU Dining, Perth)
• Dany Angove (Leeuwin Estate, Margaret River)
• Duncan Welgemoed (Africola, Adelaide)
• Elvis Abrahanowicz (Porteno, Sydney)
• Evan Hayter (Arimia, Margaret River)
• George Cooper (Food by the Chef, Margaret River)
• Heath Townsend (Wise Vineyards Restaurant, Margaret River)
• Huon Hooke (Writer)
• Iain Robertson (Cullen Wines, Margaret River)
• Jo Barrett (Oakridge Wines, Yarra Valley)
• Josh Niland (Saint Peter, Sydney)
• Josh Whiteland (Koomal Dreaming, Margaret River)
• Matt Okine (Comedian, actor/presenter and musician)
• Matt Stone (Oakridge Wines, Yarra Valley)
• Morgan McGlone (Belle’s Hot Chicken, Melbourne and Sydney)
• Nick Stock (Wine Writer)
• Paul Carmichael (Momofuku Seiobo, Sydney)
• Paul Iskov (Fervor, Margaret River)
• Russell Blaikie (Must Wine Bar, Perth)
• Sam Ward (Mas, Perth)
• Rhys Passmore (The Goose, Margaret River)
• Santiago Fernandez (Voyager Estate, Margaret River)
• Scott Bridger (Bib & Tucker, Perth)
• Seth James (Wills Domain, Margaret River)
• Tim Whitty (Kitchen Takeovers, Margaret River)
* Ranking in World’s Best Restaurants – http://www.theworlds50best.com/